Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Ethos, Pathos, Logos

Fallacies of Ethos, Pathos, and Logos

One fallacy that is very prevalent in today's politics is the fallacy of ethos, known as Ad Hominem. This fallacy is used to describe a personal attack that has nothing to do with the argument on hand. I think one very obvious example of this fallacy is within Mitt Romney's campaign, specifically because he is a Mormon. Here is one example of an article that displays this fallacy: http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2011-12-28/romney-mormon-christian/52257162/1. The issue is about the difficulty of Romney winning votes in states that have a high percentage of Evangelicals. Now why is this an issue, exactly? Looking at the arguments and issues at hand, faith has very little, if anything at all, to deal with them. The fallacy comes in when the prejudice against Mormons, held by the Evangelicals, begins to affect voting. Though Mitt Romney's faith has nothing to do with the issues at hand, attacks on this aspect of Romney are still very prevalent.

Ethos, Pathos, and Logos from King Henry V

These examples were found from King Henry V's speech. First is Ethos. One example comes from these lines:
"If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more."
The ethos is slightly difficult to see, but it is there, I assure you. To me, these lines display credibility. Ethos is used when recognizing the opposing viewpoint. Here, King Henry V is recognizing the opposing viewpoint by saying "if we die, then we die and lose this battle." He's not saying that they will win just yet, but he's recognizing that they could die. This makes him sound more credible to me.
I also believe this displays powerful Logos. Logos is logic, and logically, the less people who fought, the more honor each man will receive in turn,
The second Ethos comes from these lines:
"By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care i who doth feed upon my cost;
It earns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outwear things dwell not in my desires."
Here, Henry is making himself more credible by telling his audience that he isn't battling for riches. He does not desire to make himself more wealthy. He's battling for different reasons.

The first Pathos comes from these lines:
"That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse."
This is powerful Pathos because he is letting his audience know that they need not fight if they cannot handle it. They will be allowed to leave if he so desires to. It's almost as if Henry is calling those who do leave not manly at all, and no man wants to be called a wimp, emotionally speaking.
The second Pathos is from here:
"But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his bloom with me
Shall be my brother;"
This is great pathos because it is relating to the audience's emotional connection of brotherhood. Henry is stating that anyone who fights together today shall be so close to one another, that they shall all be linked together as brothers, even unto death. This displays a powerful connection of affection and brotherhood for all of Henry's comrades there with him.

The first Logos is stated above
The second Logos is found in these lines:
"Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day."
Logos is logic. And this is logic because it tells quite accurately of what men will do when they're older on St. Crispian's Day. They will be able to recall what they did for their country, and he will be proud of it.

And this concludes my blog...
Have a great day!

7 comments:

  1. My apologies. I thought the assignment said to do the same speech from King Henry V. I can do a different speech later, but for now, I'm going to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your fallacy example Christian. I never really liked how during Mitt Romney first time trying for president all that was talked about was his religion. And as we all know his first try for presidency was a fail. I am just glad that this next time around this fallacy is not being used on him as much. It is weird as I read your blog this though kept creeping into my mind, that thought was that you must have a really cool older brother who is also equally atractive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your example of logical fallacy is interesting, and very relevant to us as members of the church. If you are interested in furthering your knowledge of this issue, you might want to consider looking into the last presidential election, when Romney was running but dropped out (seemingly because of issues with people attacking his religion). He delivered a speech, "Faith in America," that is excellent and worth reading.

    Although you looked at the wrong speech, your analysis was very well done. So I forgive you :)

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought your examples were really good, both of a fallacy and of ethos/pathos/logos from King Henry. It was interesting to see some King Henry examples that I didn't think of when we went over it in class. I agree with Aaron, I'm glad that it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue for some people this time around, although I think it is still a problem that a lot of people have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought your example of fallacy was good. It is obvious that fallacies happen all the time in politics, especiall ad hominem attacks. It's too bad that religion has to play a part in politics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the example was good, and I especially liked it because if only people knew that Romney is a good person but all the other candidates are making him out to be evil. I think that this happens all the time in politics, and if he wins and is successful in office then our religion will never be brought up as an attack against other candidates that are Mormon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's interesting to see that most of the blogs I have looked at have dealt with fallacies in politics. It really shows to what lengths candidates will go to put down their opponents. It's a clear example of ad hominem, as they are attacking his religion as if it affects his politics, when they disregard the more telling issues. It seems like it has been much less of an issue this election, but certainly, it still affects some voters.

    ReplyDelete