Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Website Analysis

The website I'll be analyzing is the Harold B. Lee Library site.

One thing to remember about this website is that its purpose is not necessarily to catch your eye, but to make research as easy as possible. So while this website isn't immediately grabbing my attention, it more importantly isn't making me want to gouge my eyes out and cry for help.
The most important things that make this site effective for its purpose is proximity, alignment, and color. Proximity for this site groups all the relatable links next to each other. This is very important for a research site because it puts all different categories in an organized manner. Links that relate, such as reserving a room to study, or to talk to a librarian, are put close to each other. With alignment, the text isn't just all over the place, but placed in an organized manner. That one is pretty straight forward. Color is the best way that this site organizes it's different sections. The way it does this is the color of its text, for both the headers and the text underneath the headers. Headers are red, bringing your attention to what the section is about, and the text underneath is blue, which are the links. This way, the information is much more organized. Also, the colors are not distracting at all.

8 comments:

  1. Before you talked about it in class today (and in this post), I kind of just thought that a site was either effective or ineffective. But I agree, a website's effectiveness definitely depends on who the site is trying to cater to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree with the fact that certain websites can be effective to some and ineffective to others. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though. If your audience feels that it is effective then everything is fine, but if they felt it was ineffective something needs to done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Design doesn't always mean attractiveness, but usefulness as well. And I think these aspects of design do a great job at making this a website that gets the job done. Well done, Christian!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how your analysis focuses on what the site is designed for and not just how it looks. Basically, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I agree with your post. A website doesn't need to be aesthetically pleasing to serve it's purpose. Sometimes functionality is best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it weird that you are sucking up the BYU library, nevertheless, it was a good analysis. I feel the the library website was an effective website as well. They have so much information that they need to get out and I feel they did it in an well organized. I mean if they tried to be like apple and have it plain it would take forever to find what your looking for because you would be going through a lot of different tabs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know that it is really catchy but it definitely is effective, especially because it is easy to find the things you are looking for! Great webpage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good analysis! I think that websites are the best when they have a simple layout and tabs that are easy to see. A good color also doesn't hurt:)

    ReplyDelete